Blue eye shadow is making a come back – Emma Stone and Anna Kendrick are on board and so are we.
Spring 2012 makeup is all about blue. Emma Stone and Anna Kendrick bring back an ’80s make up style – blue eye shadow – in a contemporary way: by lining their eyes with a deep blue eye liner and accenting the look with a delicate blend of cobalt blue shadow. Blue eye shadow, if not applied correctly can look tacky and clownish, but done right the powerful pigment can really brighten up your eyes and add a sexy finishing touch to your look.
Anna Kendrick was seen attending ‘50/50′ premiere during the 55th BFI London Film Festival in London, England, wearing blue eye shadow that matched her printed McQ Resort 2012 mini dress. Anna displayed an edgy effect by filling a gray-blue shadow all the way up to her eyebrows. She made her eyes more noticeable by wearing heavy eye shadow on the upper lid and softened it by applying shadow on the lower lid as well. A neutral lip color balanced the dramatic eyes. The 26-year-old rocked a casual ponytail which drew even more attention to her sexy blue eye makeup.
Emma Stone has also been experimenting with blue eye shadow recently. She hit the frosted blue tint look out of the park at a Giorgio Armani/Vanity Fair private dinner. She is always keeping us on up to date with new make u looks and this is one of our favorites because her frosted blue eye shadow is super attention grabbing and makes her beautiful green eyes pop.
The difference between Emma’s and Anna’s blue eye shadow looks is that Anna uses a lot of shadow across the entire eye, but Emma’s icy blue shade is used sparsely—it’s only in the inner corners and under her brow bone. The rest of the eye shadow is a darker blue and the eyeliner is, of course, navy. That’s the key to the frosted look.
Ease yourself into the blue trend by switching your usual black or brown eyeliner for a navy shade—you’ll instantly notice how it makes your eyes pop. Cover Girl’s Exact Eyelights Eye-Brightening eyeliner in “Radiant Sapphire” is one of our favorites, or try L’Oreal H.I.P eyeliner in “Navy Blue”.
Here’s how to do Spring’s hottest make up trend: Blue shadow
- Line the bottom and top eyelashes carefully with eyeliner. Use a navy blue pencil. Keep the line close to your lashes. Blend with your fingertip or a cotton stick to soften the lines.
- Trace over the eyeliner with the dark blue eye shadow using the small makeup brush. On the top lid, concentrate on the outer corners of the eye to create a cat’s eye look. Keep the line on the lower lid thin. Blend the edges of the line well, in outward strokes.
- Use the medium makeup brush to dust the lighter, shimmery shade of blue eye shadow over the eye. To get Emma’s look apply it sparsely on the outer and inner corners of the eye. To get Anna’s blue make up look, apply it across the entire eye.
- Finish the smoky eye look by applying black mascara to the upper and lower lashes.
- Avoid looking clownish by spraying Skindinavia Finishing Spray on your face. The last thing you want is your blue eye makeup look to drip or smudge. Skindinavia Finishing Spray holds makeup in place for up to 16+ hours so you won’t have to worry about touch ups or your face melting the entire night.